Thursday 23 May 2024

HOLY TRINITY SUNDAY 26th May 2024 by Fr Nelson Lobo OFM Cap

                                         

                                                               WONDERING GURU

                                          Let's Thank the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit

Deut 4: 32-34, 39-40; Rom 8: 14-17; Mat 28: 16-20

ENGAGING THE MYSTERY OF THE HOLY TRINITY – Fr Bonnie Inspirations

Fr Nelson Lobo OFM Cap

Story: An American Jewish father was concerned about his son. He had not truly raised him to be grounded in the faith of Judaism. So, hoping to remedy this he sent his son to Israel so the boy could experience his heritage. A year later the young man returned home. He said, "Father, thank you for sending me to the land of our Fathers. It was wonderful and enlightening. However, I must confess that while in Israel I converted to Christianity." "Oh the father groaned what have I done?" So in the tradition of the patriarchs he went to his best friend and sought advice and solace. "It is amazing that you should come to me," stated his friend, "I too sent my son to Israel and he returned a Christian." So in the traditions of the Patriarchs they went to the Rabbi. "It is amazing that you should come to me," stated the Rabbi, "I too sent my son to Israel and he returned a Christian. What is happening to our sons? "Brothers, we must take this to the Lord," said the Rabbi. They fell to their knees and began to wail and pour out their hearts to the Almighty. As they prayed, the clouds above opened and a mighty voice stated, "Amazing that you should come to Me. I, too, sent My Son to Israel..." (Pause)

This is Trinity Sunday, the Sunday after Pentecost, a day the Catholic Church historically has celebrated one of its central beliefs that of a triune God.  Coming from the Catholic faith tradition, we as Catholics express belief in the Trinity every time we pray for we begin all prayers with the Sign of the Cross, praying in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Additionally, the most common greeting used at the celebration of the Eucharist is from Paul’s second letter to the Corinthians: “The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God the Father and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.” (2 Cor 13:13)

Even though the word “trinity” is not mentioned in the Bible there are many references in the bible pointing to Trinity. Jesus is talking to his disciples, and He refers to the Holy Spirit as well as to the Father. He says, “unless I go away, the Counselor [Comforter] will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.” Many times, people refer to the Holy Spirit as “it” but Jesus goes on to say, “when he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment...” Then he refers to the Father when he says...”I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer.” One of the better-known scriptures referring to the Trinity is Mark 1:10. “As Jesus was coming up out of the water [at his baptism], he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.” Again, you see evidence of all three persons in the Godhead.

There are several ways to visually explain it. One is with an egg--you have the egg shell, the egg yolk, and the egg white. They are three distinct parts--but they are all EGG. Another way to explain the Trinity is by referring to water--a glass of water, an ice cube, or steam--it is different but all WATER. It is said that St. Patrick explained the Trinity with a shamrock. The three parts of the shamrock represented the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit--but at the same time they were all shamrock.

What do you mean when you say that you believe in One God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit? Do you believe in one God or three Gods? St Augustine of Hippo took nearly thirty years to write fifteen volumes called “About the Trinity” and was constantly updating and revising his work.   St. Augustine - so the story goes - was struggling to understand the doctrine of the Trinity. So he decided to go for a walk on the beach, where he saw a little boy digging a hole in the sand with a seashell. The boy then ran off to the ocean, filling the shell, and rushed back to pour it into the hole he had made. “What are you doing, my little man,” St. Augustine asked. “I’m trying to put the ocean into this hole”, the boy replied. Augustine suddenly realized that this was precisely what he was trying to do…to fit the great mysteries of God into his mind. But I do think we need to have some understanding of the nature of the Trinity.

Today on Trinity Sunday let’s thank God for the Father, thank God for the Son and Thank God for the Holy Spirit.

Yes, God is the Father, but I thank Him for being the Father. He is the everlasting God, whom Abraham and David of old worshipped. He is the Lord Jehovah, who helped His people. He is unchangeable, enduring, omnipresent, and omnipotent. He is the Most High, supreme God, the ruler of Heaven and earth.  He is a big God. He is my provider.  He is my sustainer. He is my shepherd. He is my comfort. He is my hope. He is my healer. He is my peace. He is my constant companion. He is my Master. He is the Rock of Ages.  He is the great I am. He is the judge of all the earth. He is my father which means He constantly takes care of me. I am His child. He constantly watches over me.

Thank God for Jesus! For He died on the cross for my sins and paid the price for my redemption. Isaiah said He is “wonderful, counsellor, mighty God, everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Paul said He is, “the exalted one,” Peter said He is, “the Chief Shepherd” Matthew said He is, “the anointed one” James said He is, “the Lord of Glory” God said, “This is my beloved Son” The Angel said, “ For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. Thank God for Jesus!

The Word of God says He is Almighty, Alpha and Omega, Our Advocate, He is blessed and holy, He is the desire of all nations, He is the door, He is called Emmanuel, He is the first and the last, Horn of our salvation, The great I am He is the King of kings and Lord of Lords, He is our Mediator, He is the Messiah, The Morning Star, Our Passover, Our Savior, Our Shepherd. He is the Son of God, He is the Sun of Righteousness, Bright and Morning Star, Chief Corner Stone, The Living Stone, He is the way, the truth and the life. He is the true vine, He is the Living water, Our Physician, Prince of life and Prince of Peace, He is the propitiation for our sins, The mediator of a better covenant, Our redeemer, refuge and resurrection. He is our coming King who shall appear in the clouds of glory and take us home to be with Him forever and ever! Thank God for Jesus! He’s the well-spring of wisdom, He’s the doorway of deliverance, He’s the pathway of peace, He’s the roadway of righteousness, He’s the highway of holiness He’s the gateway of glory. He’s the prince of princes, He’s the king of Kings and the Lord of Lords. His life is matchless. His goodness is limitless. His mercy is everlasting. His love never changes. His word is enough.

Thirdly, Thank God for the Holy Spirit! The Holy Spirit gives me comfort. The Holy Spirit gives me power. The Holy Spirit testifies and glorifies Jesus Christ. He guides us into all truth. He convicts us of our sins.  And what is so wonderful is, He lives inside every Child of God!  Thank God for the Holy Spirit! He teaches us spiritual things.  Helps us search the deep things of God. He empowers us in our witnessing. He gives us assurance, and edification.  Thank God for the Holy Spirit! He helps us to become over-comers. He helps us bear good fruit. He gives us joy, peace, liberty, hope and life!

Like St. Augustine let’s not struggle to understand the mystery of the Holy Trinity rather let us be grateful and thank each person of the Holy Trinity. Let’s thank God for the Father, thank God for the Son and Thank God for the Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

“The Young Ruler-he left heaven when he left Jesus!” by Fr. Nelson Lobo OFM Cap

WONDERING GURU 28 Sunday in Ordinary Time, 13 Oct 2024 (Wis 7: 7-11 Ps 90: 12-17 Heb 4: 12-13; Mk 10: 17-30) Introduction -- Jesus loved mee...